DermaTherapy® is the first and only therapeutic silk-like fabric cleared by the FDA for the prevention of pressure injuries and recommended for use by NPIAP. Controlling the patient’s microclimate is an intervention used for both the prevention of pressure injuries and the treatment of existing skin damage. DermaTherapy® is proven to more effectively manage the patient’s microclimate by reducing shear and friction, managing moisture and heat, and reducing the bio-burden.
Product Technology Summary:
- Patented fabric engineering reduces friction by 35% versus poly/cotton
- Continuous filament yarns with micro-channels wicks moisture 40% faster and dries 60% faster than poly/cotton
- The highly breathable quick drying fabric keeps patient cooler and more comfortable, reducing metabolic demand in the skin
- Fabric engineering and fiber content eliminate lint, a potential vector causing infection in open wounds
- Surgical-grade antimicrobial on the fabric reduces bio burden by 99%
- 37% lighter than poly/cotton products, reducing laundry processing costs
The following is a summary of Clinical and Financial Benefits Provided by the DermaThearpy Therapeutic Patient Positioning System:
- Reduces the incidence of Hospital Acquired Pressure Injuries (HAPIs) and associated costs. (Received FDA Clearance for use in prevention of pressure injuries 2016). Covers entire support surface with a fabric that optimizes the patient’s microclimate, does not lint, and has a built-in antimicrobial.
- Reduces incidence of MASD (Moisture Associated Skin Damage)/IAD (Incontinence Associated Dermatitis) and associated costs (Received FDA Clearance for use in prevention of atopic dermatitis/eczema 2007)
- Amplifies the clinical performance and outcomes achieved with specialty mattresses. Healthcare facilities continue to invest thousands of dollars in specialty mattresses to improve wound healing and continue to put linen products on them that have no therapeutic properties.
- Improves treatment for existing skin issues by optimizing the microclimate surrounding the patient.
- Reduces bioburden, a potential source of infection, with a built-in antimicrobial and virtually lint free fabric. Very beneficial for patients with open wounds and/or burns.
- Reduces length of stay, improving profitability for the medical facility.
- Reduces incidence of readmissions due to skin complications or infections
- Minimizes friction between fitted sheet and underpad, providing easier patient positioning and less back strain on clinicians. Strain injuries are the most common work comp claims in healthcare and account for almost 50% of the costs.
- Eliminates the cost associated with drawsheets/bath blankets and expensive repositioning devices/sheets.
- Facilitates ease of use, unlike other products that are cumbersome, DermaTherapy products are very versatile and can be used on any healthcare bed.
- Provides moisture management and incontinence care, significantly reducing or eliminating in the cost of disposable underpads and associated medical waste.
- Products dry much faster, reducing laundry energy costs.
- DermaTherapy fabric is more stain resistant and easier to clean than traditional poly/cotton linen.
- Antimicrobial offers a potential solution to contamination risks and odor control.
To learn more or to request a sample, visit dermatherapy.standardtextile.com or call 513-518-0178.